Friday, March 9, 2012

A boost of energy

I participated in the Pancakes and Booze Art Show last week. When I first heard about this event I was apprehensive about showing work in a place where I pictured tons of sloppy young people drunkily ragging and engorging in huge mouthfuls of syrupy (and just as sloppy) pancakes. I must have been ok with that image because I went for the plunge. Sloppy young people have the right to be exposed to subjectively tasteful artwork too. 

Flash forward to me going through the piles of paintings in my studio and finding a cohesive body of work that will fit into this type of show... whatever this "type" of show was to me at the time. I selected five paintings from my female figure collection (I mean, who doesn't like artistic nudes) and dropped them off at the gallery.  

Friday night rolled around and after having a few drinks with the guys, Brett and Nate, we headed over to 4N5 Gallery on Mission and 4th. The gallery location was amazing. It was the perfect spot to catch the attention of the night-on-the-towners. We were checked by the bouncer, the non-painters paid a light entrance fee, and then we were in. 

I was impressed. There was a decent mix of the weird artsy type, hipsters (of course), the young professionals, and the tamed older type. The range of art work was wide regarding skill level and mediums, music was pretty good, the drinks decently priced, and the smell of pancakes was in the air. It was a great night. I even ended up selling the piece below! That's success in my book :)



2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the Sale and exposure! Loved hearing about the night

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was such a fun experience!

    ReplyDelete